What is the Perfume Project?

This blog is a constantly evolving forum for thoughts on perfume, perfume-making, plants (especially orchids and flora of the Pacific Northwest) and life in general. It started out chronicling the adventures of Olympic Orchids Perfumes, established in July 2010, and has expanded in other directions. A big part of the blog is thinking about the ongoing process of learning and experimentation that leads to new perfumes, the exploration of perfumery materials, the theory and practice of perfume making, the challenges of marketing perfumes and other fragrance products, and random observations on philosophy and society. Spam comments will be marked as such and deleted; any comments that go beyond the boundaries of civil discourse will also be deleted. I am grateful to all of you, the readers, who contribute to the blog by commenting and making this a truly interactive perfume project.

Monday, August 5, 2019

AN UNINTENTIONAL EXPERIMENT AND A NEW DRAWING

For the past few months I have been posting on Facebook whenever there was a winner of one of the drawings, and the winner usually responds right away. This last time I got busy with a lot of things and didn’t put anything on Facebook. The winnings are unclaimed, and there were far fewer comments than usual on the post for the new drawing. It seems that a lot of people don’t see the blog unless I put an alert on Facebook. I’ll do it this time and will try to remember to do so in future. 

This week’s winner is TRINITI

Last drawing’s winner was PARROT. Parrot has one week to contact me, otherwise everything will go to Triniti as a jackpot. 

To claim your winnings send an e-mail to olympicorchids at gmail dot com or leave a message on the Olympic Orchids  Facebook page. I will need your complete shipping address. 

This week’s photo is Phalaenopsis bellina, which is blooming right now. The fragrance is amazing, kind of a citrusy floral, but unique. It diffuses its fragrance all day. 

To enter this week’s drawing for a big box of samples, just leave a comment about how your summer is going, or any other random thoughts that you have. 

[Photo is mine]

24 comments:

  1. Love the scent of this orchid Ellen . Well summer is going well So far , pretty lazy , luckily Not as hot as last one ( thanks God) , School is going to start soon for the kids again and that means less activity until late evenings and for me less noise more Peace ..., hope you enjoy your summer as well Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ani, enjoy the rest of your summer, too! You're entered in the drawing.

      Delete
  2. Wildlife ate most of my garden. So we are going to call this year a learning experience for that. There is much landscaping that needs to be done, but I am recovering from surgery. So most of it will have to wait until autumn. It will be cooler and less buggy though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your surgery and your garden being eaten. I hope the rest of your summer is better. You're entered in the drawing.

      Delete
  3. This morning it was suddenly evident that days are getting shorter. But that's OK, I look forward to autumn and planting new bulbs for next year. The evenings are cooler now and the jasmine (officinale) is blooming and scenting my back yard. Heaven. Hello from London (UK) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moodypaws,

      I love the scent of jasmine blooming. The days are indeed getting shorter, but if it's getting cooler where you are, that's probably a good thing. You're entered in the drawing.

      Delete
  4. would love to experience this fragrance. summer is going about the same as this whole year! i lost my dad on March 31st, had a potentially life threatening infection that was hospitalized for. i’m keeping my faith tho & i know that with God all things are possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. vicky, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dad and your own health problems. I hope the rest of your summer will be better. You're entered in the drawing.

      Delete
  5. Warm, blue skies here, with the occasional shower. I welcome the rain, as every gardener does. There were fewer cicadas this year, but more robins. I saw triplets! Thanks for sharing again, Ellen! Peace and Joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, We have loads of robins. They came to eat the blueberries earlier in the season, but now seem to have gone somewhere else, probably to eat blackberries. You're entered in the drawing.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful orchid! I wish I could smell it right now :)
    My summer has been going great. I leave next week on a mini vacation for my first wedding anniversary. We're staying in a treehouse in Amish country for a couple days, then going to an amusement park on the way home. We're incredibly excited to do something just for us and to force ourselves to relax for a bit -- this society is always go go go, and it's hard not to get caught up in that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annalyn, congratulations on your wedding anniversary! It sounds like you have a great trip planned. You're entered in the drawing.

      Delete
  7. That flower is beautiful and I love citrus and floral, so I hope to come across this flower one day or at least purchase a fragrance that is inspired by it. My summer is going okay so far, school and study is what my summer has consisted of so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nelle, those flowers are not very common, as they are not sold at florists, garden centers, or box stores. I hope your studies are going well. You're entered in the drawing.

      Delete
  8. Thank You for Your Amazing Creations!!!
    My summer is going ok- so happy temperature is down a bit- has been unbearable!!!
    Love reading Your Blog!... Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stellina, thank you for reading the blog! I should post more. You're entered in the drawing.

      Delete
  9. My summer is going. I just started a stressful new job, and left a relationship. So I am kind of bummed.

    Perfume is an escape for me. I love how different scents transport me to certain memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, I hope that all of the transitions in your life will turn out to be for the best. You're entered in the drawing.

      Delete
  10. This is the time of year, as the Summer temperatures begin to decrease, that my hummingbird feeder gets extremely active.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin, the hummingbirds are very active around our feeder and garden too. I love the hummingbirds! You're entered in the drawing.

      Delete
  11. Lots of travels this summer! Bouncing around between California, New York, and Virginia for work (and fun). But what I love the most is reading a nice book at home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, you have been busy with all that travel. I hope you get some time to relax and read. You're entered in the drawing.

      Delete
  12. Ellen, your perfumes and testers are the only thing I wear. Today is a black orchid kind of day:)
    Would love to experience this beauty, obviously.

    Summer—hot, pink and moist. This may be the reason of my paintings turning from blue into pink/orange.
    Looking up to the skies and hoping for gifts from heavens.

    Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marta, thank you for your comments. Gifts from heavens as in rain? You're entered in the drawing.

      Delete