What is the Perfume Project?

This blog is a constantly evolving forum for thoughts on perfume, perfume-making, plants (especially orchids and flora of the Pacific Northwest) and life in general. It started out chronicling the adventures of Olympic Orchids Perfumes, established in July 2010, and has expanded in other directions. A big part of the blog is thinking about the ongoing process of learning and experimentation that leads to new perfumes, the exploration of perfumery materials, the theory and practice of perfume making, the challenges of marketing perfumes and other fragrance products, and random observations on philosophy and society. Spam comments will be marked as such and deleted; any comments that go beyond the boundaries of civil discourse will also be deleted. I am grateful to all of you, the readers, who contribute to the blog by commenting and making this a truly interactive perfume project.

Saturday, March 31, 2012

SPRING DRAWING FOR SAMPLES OF NATURAL MATERIALS

I haven’t had a contest or drawing for a long time, so was thinking about what to do for the next one. An idea popped into my head when I received a shipment from Eden Botanicals the other day and saw that they had generously included 9 samples. Whenever I order bulk materials from them, they send a whole pack of small samples in 1 ml vials, so I have quite a collection. Some of these are materials I already have in large quantities, so it occurred to me that it would be nice to share these little sniffies with those who don’t usually buy essential oils, resins, absolutes, or extracts.

Some things, like agarwood SCO2 extract, I’m keeping for myself just because they’re so expensive and/or hard to come by that even a small quantity is a good thing to keep and use. The samples in the drawing will be some of the more ordinary things, but it’s still an opportunity to smell these natural notes by themselves rather than as components of a finished fragrance. The winner will receive a package of at least 6 samples. If enough people enter, I’ll send out 2 sets of samples.

If you would like to be entered in the drawing, leave a comment saying what one of your favorite natural perfume notes is. The winner will be randomly drawn on Saturday, April 7.

By the way, if you are testing davana and haven't sent me your comments yet, please do so soon, as I'm going to post about it this week or next.

[spice, hemlock resin, and chamomile photos from Wikimedia]

18 comments:

  1. I'm an iris-and-incense girl, and I'd especially love to smell the read deal in incense. Labdanum is another favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arrgh! That should read "real deal." Stupid typos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dionne, You're entered. I didn't even notice the typo in the first post!

      Delete
  3. My favourite notes in natural perfumery would be kewda and ambrette. Thanks for the draw
    Yas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yas, I love ambrette and kewda, too! You're entered in the drawing.

      Delete
  4. One of my favorite natural perfume notes is haitian vetiver. Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, vetiver is an amazingly versatile material. It's wonderful to work with. You're entered!

      Delete
  5. Choosing favorites is always so hard for me! Patchouli, frankincense, sandalwood. And tuberose abs., of course, but I haven't been able to afford that one for years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, I also find it hard to answer questions about "favorites" because there's no all-purpose answer. I hear you on the tuberose absolute. The cost is ridiculous. However, when you think about how many flowers it takes ... oh well. You're entered in the drawing.

      Delete
  6. Jasmine is one of my favorite natural perfume notes. I love both sambac and grandiflorum equally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bliss, jasmine is another one of those versatile materials that's a wonderful addition to many different blends, even ones that you wouldn't think it would belong in. I used motia attar (a blend of jasmine and sandalwood) in one of my trial "Devil Scent Project" fragrances along with labdanum and woody notes. You're entered in the drawing!

      Delete
  7. I love iris butter. Oakmoss. Love the davana sample you sent. Thank you very much!
    Also I love tonka, Peru balsam, Tolu balsam, mimosa.

    Celina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celina, looks like you're another person with multiple "favorites"! I'm glad you enjoyed testing the davana. I'm going to publish everyone's comments later this week. You're entered in the drawing.

      Delete
  8. Heya,
    Can't give you a favourite because I haven't spent any time with the beginnings of perfume yet Ellen. I would LOVE to though. Please put me in the draw,
    Portia xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Portia, Oh the fun you'll have if/when you start exploring raw perfume materials! You're entered in the drawing.

    I'm enjoying your blog. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million for the encouragement. I am having trouble leaving a comment on your ambergris post though. there seems to be a glitch in your message jusp.
      Portia xx

      Delete
  10. Ooops! That would be me.
    I'll hurry and write it all down in the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ines, That's fine. As soon as I get your comments I'll put together the davana post.

    ReplyDelete