What is the Perfume Project?

This blog is a constantly evolving forum for thoughts on perfume, perfume-making, plants (especially orchids and flora of the Pacific Northwest) and life in general. It started out chronicling the adventures of Olympic Orchids Perfumes, established in July 2010, and has expanded in other directions. A big part of the blog is thinking about the ongoing process of learning and experimentation that leads to new perfumes, the exploration of perfumery materials, the theory and practice of perfume making, the challenges of marketing perfumes and other fragrance products, and random observations on philosophy and society. Spam comments will be marked as such and deleted; any comments that go beyond the boundaries of civil discourse will also be deleted. I am grateful to all of you, the readers, who contribute to the blog by commenting and making this a truly interactive perfume project.

Sunday, December 24, 2017

HAPPY WINTER SOLSTICE 2017 AND A GIVEAWAY

A phenomenon we're all happy about, especially here in the far-north parts of the world like Seattle, is the fact that the days will start getting longer now. At least a few things are still predictable and worthy of hope.

The weather report predicts snow (yeah, right - I'll believe it when I see it), but the sky does have that matte beige-grey look to it. More to the point, I'm on holiday from the university for another week, catching up on shipping packages from our winter sale, which runs through December 26, preparing for winter quarter teaching, updating my websites as best I can, and spending some time with family and friends.

The break also means that I've got time to sort through my possessions and get rid of things I don't use (yeah, right - I'll believe that when it happens). As a hopeful first step, I'm going to offer another 100 g package of miscellaneous perfume samples, to be awarded to the winner of a random drawing.

All you have to do is leave a comment letting me know that you're still alive and reading this blog. The drawing will take place on December 31. If no one claims the prize, it will go back into a jackpot that will increase every time there's an unclaimed prize.

[The photo is of a winter sunset, not a fire.]


11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Forgot to leave my name-
      Brigitte

      Delete
    2. Hi Brigitte, good to know that you're reading!

      Delete
  2. I for one continue to read and enjoy your blog Ellen. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin, Thank you for commenting. It's good to know that there are still some readers out there!

      Delete
  3. I am still alive, lol! I am also still enjoying your blog! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nelle25, thanks for commenting and letting me know that you're still out there!

      Delete
  4. I'm still here and checking in periodically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, it's good to see you still hanging in here! Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year Ellen! I'm still reading your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Triniti, Thank you for continuing to read my blog! I really appreciate your comments.

      Delete